If you’re like most small business owners, you probably don’t have a lot of time to spare. You’re wearing multiple hats and always seem to be running from one task to the next.
One way to help streamline your content marketing efforts is to create and use a content calendar. It is simply a tool that helps you plan, organize, and track your marketing content.
By taking the time to create a content calendar for your small business, you can save yourself time and energy in the long run. Not sure how to get started? Keep reading for everything you need to know about creating an effective content calendar for your small business.
What is it and why should small businesses use them?
It is an important tool for managing and organizing content, generally marketing content. It allows you to plan ahead and track your progress so that you can ensure that your content is on track and on schedule.
Content calendars can help small businesses to save time and money by planning ahead and avoiding last-minute scrambling to create new content. For example, by mapping out your blog content strategy in advance, businesses can save time when hiring outside agencies or freelance writers.
Ultimately, a well-executed content calendar is an essential tool for any small business that wants to succeed with its content marketing efforts.
How to create a content calendar for your small business
Creating a content calendar doesn’t have to be complicated. In fact, it can be as simple as using a spreadsheet or online tool to track the topics, formats, and release dates for your content. Here are some tips for creating an effective calendar for your small business:
- Start with Your Goals in Mind: What do you want to achieve with your content? Whether it’s increasing brand awareness, generating leads, improving SEO, or something else, make sure your goals are front and center as you develop your calendar.
- Determine Your Target Audience: Who are you trying to reach with your message? Once you know who you’re talking to, it will be easier to determine what type of content will resonate with them.
- Plan for Various Types of Content: A mix of blog posts, infographics, videos, social media posts, and other types of content will keep things interesting for your audience and help ensure that there’s something for everyone.
- Decide on a Publication Schedule: How often do you want to publish new content? Once you have an idea of how often you’ll be creating new pieces and how much budget you have to spend, then you can start mapping out when they’ll go live on your website or blog.
- Make Use of Editorial Calendars: If you’re struggling to come up with ideas for what to write about, consider using an editorial calendar to help guide your efforts. This can be especially helpful if you publish a monthly newsletter or blog post series.
- Don’t Forget Promotions! As You’re planning out your content, don’t forget to promote each piece through social media, email marketing, and other channels. This will help ensure that people actually see and engage with your hard work!
How often to update your small business’ content calendar
Small businesses should update their content calendar on a regular basis in order to keep their marketing efforts fresh and relevant. It helps to plan and track the different pieces of content that a small business will create and publish, making it easy to see what has been done and what still needs to be done.
By keeping their content calendar up-to-date, small businesses can avoid duplication of effort, ensure that all stakeholders are aware of upcoming content, and measure the success of past campaigns. Updating the calendar also allows businesses to adapt their plans as necessary in response to changes in the market or feedback from customers.
As a small business owner, it’s important to have a content calendar. As it can help you plan and organize your company’s content marketing strategy. It can also help you track your progress and measure your results.
If you’re not sure how to create a content calendar for your small business, reach out to our team. We offer free consultations about content marketing. We’ll be happy to answer any of your questions and help you get started!